We hope this Kit List is helpful. It shows that, whatever the weather at valley level, it can be much colder, windier and wetter higher up on mountain summits. Hot sun can also be an issue, causing sunburn and heat exhaustion. We are careful to plan accordingly, whatever the weather, so please help us by being ready with the kit below. Please help us to follow our COVID-19 Operation Plan by bringing all the safety items with you in bold, in case they may be needed.
Please read our Kit List carefully and make a note of what you have and what you might need to obtain. Currently, we are not able to loan or hire walking kit. Not sure on all the technical terms? Check out Joe Brown Outdoor Academy’s fantastic resources to help you buy the right equipment for you.
Summer Walking Kit List
- Rucksack – at least 25 litres
- Rucksack liner (or bin bag) – to keep rain out!
- Sturdy, comfy walking boots or shoes with ankle support and grippy sole (smooth soled, casual trainers are not suitable)
- Comfortable, thick walking socks
- Face covering/mask (in case needed or advised by Mountain Leader to wear)
- Personal Hand Sanitiser
- Plastic (nitrile) gloves (in case needed or advised by Mountain Leader to wear)
- Base Layer/T-shirt (not cotton)
- Comfortable walking trousers (not jeans)
- Fleece layer/jacket
- Spare warm layer in rucksack ( + 1 more for early Spring/late Autumn temperatures)
- Waterproof jacket - essential
- Waterproof trousers – essential (and separate to your walking trousers)
- Warm hat - essential
- Warm gloves – essential
- Headtorch (especially in early Spring or late Autumn)
- At least 1.5 litres water in a re-usable bottle (please do not discard plastic bottles on the mountain)
- Pack lunch/snacks/sweets and rubbish bag to take items home in (please do not leave fruit peel or litter on mountains)
- Trekking poles (highly recommended for descending and rocky steps)
- Suncream/Sunglasses/Sun Hat (for hot summer days)
- Toilet tissue and a bag to keep your used toilet tissues in (do not discard tissue on the mountain)
- Mobile Phone in a waterproof case/bag
- Battery charger pack/lead for your mobile phone
- First Aid kit – personal blister protection, personal medication, painkillers, plasters
- Map for your intended location – that you know how to read and can follow your route
- Compass – very useful if you know how to use it (not so useful if you don’t know how to use it!)
Please contact us for further advice about a Winter Walking Kit List.
15% Kit Discount at Crib Goch Outdoor World, Llanberis
When you place your booking with us, you will receive a 15% discount code for Crib Goch Outdoor World. You can purchase online via their website or pop into their shop on Llanberis high street. They have two shops in the village, offering an extensive range of clothing and footwear as well as a wide selection of hiking and camping equipment and accessories.
Staff specialise in giving customers excellent advice and great value products for their adventures, which could mean taking the dog for a walk or trekking up Kilimanjaro! You will find all you need for a Climb Snowdon day here...and for a little less! Happy shopping...